Wednesday 23 June 2010

Have just understood something I've never seen before. Yeshua, if He had not laid down His life, would never actually have died. He was sinless - which means, that death could not have taken Him. He was the second Adam. The first Adam sinned and therefore died. 'For the wages of sin is death'... (Romans 6:23).

But with Yeshua it was different. He could never have died of old age or disease, and no man could have taken His life from Him. Had He not given His life, He would have gone on living on this earth for ever, watching as the rest of us died. He would have been the archetypal immortal, living among mortals. It would have been Lucifer/Helel's dream - to make Yeshua King of the World, (as long as He would have fallen down and worshiped him) - and it could have happened if Yeshua had succumbed to that temptation.
But He Himself said. "No one takes my life from me. I give my life of my own free will. I have the authority to give my life, and I have the authority to take my life back again. This is what my Father ordered me to do." (John 10:18) Or, as he said before He was arrested, ..."Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?"(Matthew 26:53) - meaning that the angels would have delivered Him from death and put all His persecutors to flight; probably killed them all, had they been allowed to. But then how would the scriptures have been fulfilled? He was not subject to sin, but He willingly took on our sin to redeem us from sin and its punishment. He wanted to do so.

He probably lay down on the ground even before the Roman soldiers had the chance to throw Him down. They were probably shocked to find Him already there when they turned after stripping off His bloodstained clothes. They must have been astonished when He peacefully stretched out his arms to the crossbeam to have his hands nailed to the wood, without a murmur, without a look of reproach, without struggling against their violence. He probably even smiled at them. He must surely have been praying for them as they hammered in the spikes, as they jerked Him upwards onto the upright and it thudded into place.
WHAT a Saviour!

No comments:

Post a Comment