Sunday 23 October 2011

An Unanswerable Question?

I'm asking that question again. The one which keeps bobbing up from the underwater currents of my heart with increasing frequency. The question for which I have no definite answer, but only hopeful speculation.
He left us deliberately without an answer to it, I think, so that we would search and seek Him for it. Just as He left us without a definite time of His return, so that we would be alert and watching.

It's a question which I ask when I hear that yet another marriage has broken up, when manipulation  cripples a relationship; when embezzlement, deception, betrayal, greed and selfishness take their toll on yet another life; when one sells another for a price for fear of his own financial, political or emotional loss; when all this happens in the Body of Christ. We are told that friendship with the world is emnity against God, and when we look at the church what do we see? Emnity; adultery; disunity. At least, so it is in the West. And probably everywhere else too, in spite of the fact that the Body in non-Western countries may be less burdened with the shackles of materialism.

How can the Lord come back for an impure Bride? How can He come back for me?

Is it a question of  this?

'when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known...' (1 Cor. 13:10-12)

And this?
'Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. (I John 3:2-3)

Roger Price used to muse about the fact that the Lord ascended only 40 days after His resurrection. Why? What about the remaining ten days to Pentecost?  He pondered over the possibility that the Lord had still 10 days left to give us, when He would be present with His bride in some way, so that she would be ready. I wonder. Both Messiah and his Bride are a mystery, we are told. Perhaps it's not surprising that such gems are buried deep, so that only a very few find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment